In Poland, the first multidisciplinary university of technology was the Preparatory School for the Institute of Technology, which was opened on 4th January 1826. The Warsaw University of Technology still cultivates its traditions.
The man who played the most important part in creating the school and writing its syllabus was Stanisław Staszic. Kajetan Garbiński, a mathematician and Warsaw University professor became the director of the school.
The School was closed in 1831, after November Insurrection, and it was re-born as the Emperor Nicolas II University of Technology only in 1898, when the Technological Section of the Warsaw Society for Russian Commerce and Industry, whose director was engineer Kazimierz Obrębowicz, collected funds for the opening of the University. Classes, with Russian as the language of instruction, started on 5th September in the building at 81 Marszałkowska Street. They were soon moved to new buildings, built especially for the Institute. They were designed by Bronisław Rogóyski and Stefan Szyller.
The historical Main Building is the symbol of Warsaw University of Technology.
It was the venue of many important historical events: rallies, sessions, meetings and ceremonies.
Here marches and demonstrations were organised. Today, the famous University Audience Hall is a representative place for Warsaw. Balls are held here in which the Prime Minister, the Marshalls of Parliament and Senate and many other eminent guests participate. The social, political, cultural and scientific elite meets every year at Carnival balls: the Alliance Ball and the Journalists' Ball.